Thursday 22 October 2009

Meticulous Stenciling

A page from my sketchbooks of some designs, I was working on 2nd one in from the left today.

I stenciled my design onto silk/cotton fabric. Its far from perfect- the stenciling screen printing technique needs to seriously mastered. These are the things I can work on to keep it looking flawless:
1. allow the paint to dry before applying my next layer.
2. using double sticky tape to ensure my blocks don't move at all when squigeying the paint through the screen.
3. Being obsessive and concentrating fully
4. Getting 2 people to hold the screen down instead of one as its very large.
5. Ensuring no paint touches the outer fabric

The pattern and use of colour however looks powerful and affective. Which is what i wanted. It almost looks futuristic and the colouring gives a bold modern look. The shaping is flattering to the body which is another ambition I had.

By being clean and meticulous (which is not on my nature) I will be able to achieve the desired flawless clean affect- which is necessary as its 2d dress design shaping on a rectangle fabric- so the purity has to be there. This will be challenge but a necessary one that i need to overcome and refine. In order to perfect my skills I will practice with the top half of the drsesses until its looking good enough to be completed for the final piece.

I was also not very happy with the texture of the ink on the fabric- it went crispy and hard due to to the malutex in the solution- i hoping with steaming and washing with fabric softener this will losen and become fluid silk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment